Machine Learning and its Real-Time Applications
In this blog, we are going to learn about Machine Learning and its applications and everything you need to know about this technology.
What is Machine Learning?
Machine Learning (ML) is a branch of artificial intelligence which studies computer algorithm and improves automatically through its experience. It is a method of data analysis that automates the analytical model building. While artificial intelligence (AI) is the broad science of mimicking human abilities, machine learning is a specific subset of AI that trains a machine on how to learn.
Requirements to build a good Machine Learning System:
- Problem definition.
- Data preparation.
- Prototyping and testing.
- Wrapping up.
There are 100% chances that you are using Machine Learning in your day-to-day life but you might not know about it. It is used in various fields such as domestic, industrial, medical etc.
Some Real-Time Applications of ML:
- Social Media: Facebook is responsible for recognizing the faces and identifying the person in the picture. This also makes use of Alt Tags (Alternative Tags) for images already posted on Facebook. For instance, if we inspect the image below on Facebook, a description of the alt-tag is available.
- Virtual Personal Assistants: We all have heard about Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant which are the common examples of virtual personal assistants. Their working is based on machine learning technology. All we need to do is activate them and ask questions like ” How is the weather today?” or ” Hey Siri! what is the meaning of ML?” and they will start collecting information from different sources. We can also assign them certain tasks for setting up an alarm or scheduling the day and many such things.
- Product Recommendation: Whenever you search for any online products on an e-commerce website, after a few days you start receiving emails regarding the same product which you searched. If not this then you might have experienced certain pop-ups on the other apps advertising similar products which you were looking for. This is done by Machine learning. It keeps a track on our search history or behaviour with the website/app. Based on this data they keep us updated on the similar products available.
- Self Driving Cars: Here’s one of the best applications for machine learning. People are already using it. Machine learning plays a very important role in Self Driving Cars and I am sure you guys may have learned about Tesla. NVIDIA, a hardware manufacturer focused on the Unsupervised Learning Algorithm, is driving the leader in this field and its emerging Artificial Intelligence technology.
- Medical diagnosis: Medical diagnosis is a category of medical tests designed for disease or infection detection. Machine learning in this field will improve patient’s diagnosis with minimum costs and high accuracies. Use cases of Machine learning are making near-perfect diagnoses, recommend best medicines and identify high-risk patients. These predictions are based on the past dataset of anonymized patient records and symptoms exhibited by a patient. Which make diagnosis easy for patients, doctors, and researchers.
- Traffic Predictions: Google Maps is the commonly used app we nowadays use whenever we need to go out and need directions, then it comes up with suggestions like taking the fastest other route or tells us about the traffic ahead. This is collectively done by gathering the information from the people using the app and the previous data about the road. Whenever a person uses this app it provides Google with the location, average speed and the direction it is moving, this all information from various people let’s Google to collect a massive amount of data and hence helping them to predict the traffic ahead or the shortest route
Above mentioned were a few of the examples where machine learning is being used, there are numerous other ways where machine learning is proving its potential. Let us know in the comments section if you know about other applications where this technology is being used and also share your ideas and experience on this.
Also read our blog on India’s fastest supercomputers in worlds TOP500 list of ISC