IBM’s ‘Call For Code 2020’ – a Global Challenge for all developers
About IBM: International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) is an American multinational technology company. Headquartered in Armonk, Newyork with operations in over 170 countries. The company began in 1911, as computing tabulating-Recorded company (CTR) and was renamed “International Business Machines” in 1924. IBM is incorporated in New York.IBM produces and sells computer hardware, middleware, and software and provides hosting and consulting services.
IBM is the founding partner for Call for Code. Call for Code is a global challenge that is taking place alongside Code Gladiators 2020. Now in its third year, the Call for Code initiative is the largest technical challenge of its kind. The 2020 Call for Code Global Challenge asks the world’s developers to build solutions for COVID-19 and climate change. The world is facing unprecedented, interconnected challenges and we believe technology can help.
Basic information: Hosted by IBM. There should be a team of 1-5 people. The challenge would end on 19th Jul.
About the challenge procedure:
Call for Code asks innovators to create practical, effective, and high-quality applications based on one or more IBM Cloud™ services (for example, web, mobile, data, analytics, AI, IoT, or weather) that can have an immediate and lasting impact on humanitarian issues. Teams of developers, data scientists, designers, business analysts, subject matter experts, and more are challenged to build solutions to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 and Climate Change.
The competition has two tracks.
Covid-19 – Track 1 is for solutions to mitigate the impact of a global pandemic, COVID-19 on communities around the world. Solutions using Open source technology for improving crisis communication, fostering remote education, and community cooperation.
Climate Change – Track 2 is for solutions that help halt and reverse the impact of climate change. Innovate with the latest technology to address energy sustainability, water sustainability. The challenge basically consists of three rounds as follows :
Round 1: In this round, online MCQs would be asked . each person will get two attempts and the time duration given is 30 minutes. The main objective of this round is to screen candidates on the basis of their domain proficiency. The round will end in 15 days (10th Jul 23:55:00).
Round 2: This round is of online hackathon which consists of unlimited attempts. The time duration given will be 93 days . the round will get a start after proper completion of the first round. The main objective of this round is to Make a submission for either of the problem statements or both. Use IBM Cloud Services or IBM Systems in the solution.
Round 3: This round is grand finale round which consists of file upload, online.
Rules which must be followed :
- Participants must be working professionals.
- You need to have 1-5 members of your team. You can either invite your friends to form a team or you can request other teams to add you as a member.
- Participants cannot be part of more than one team.
- The participants must be at least 18 years old.
- Geography is not a restriction. You can participate in the online hackathon from anywhere.
- This contest will have 3 levels – Screening round, Online Hackathon round, and Online Grand Finale round.
- Participants get 2 chances to attempt the screening round. The higher score of the two attempts will be considered as the final score. The cut off to proceed to round 2 from the screening round is 40%.
- Once you complete the second round, you will get an option to submit your hack. Your hack must be developed entirely during the Hackathon duration. You may use open source libraries and other freely available systems or frameworks.
- It is mandatory to use one or more IBM Cloud services otherwise the solution will not be considered as valid. The use of sponsor or affiliate APIs and open source libraries is also encouraged. To sign up for the IBM Cloud. Steps for creating an IBM Cloud account mentioned in the Resources section.
- You can submit as many times as you want. The last hack will be considered as the final submission. Only the team leader can make a submission.
- Application standards – Applications must be new and built for the 2020 competition, but they may use code that was open-sourced and publicly available to all other participants as of April 27, 2020.
- Submissions will be subject to a code review.
- Teams might be requested to present the solution over the virtual meeting.
Rewards : champions will get reward of Rs/- 1,50,000.
First runner up will get reward of Rs/-1,25,000.
Second runner up will get reward of Rs/-75,000.
Deliverable: (Download Sample Presentation). Click the link to download the sample presentation.
Presentation having Solution details, Architecture, Github link of source code, Vimeo or YouTube demo link of the solution, and the name/names of the IBM Cloud Services used in the solution.
If one doesn’t want to give the Github and YouTube/Vimeo links, then one can upload his/her source code and video demo in the submission field as a zip file.
To participate in the challenge https://www.techgig.com/codegladiators/ibm-2020-call-for-code-global-challenge the link has been provided .
If one found the article to be informative one must hit the like button given below.